Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Perspectives









Anyone who knows me knows I struggle with the expectations that Christmas brings. Expectations of me.

First and foremost I am not a shopper. I must admit online shopping is starting to "ease my pain".

Then there is all the places to go which comes with "bring this, here, at this time". I love to see everyone, don't get me wrong. It just gets to be too much. Its stressful.

What I do enjoy is decorating. Aunt Connie comes from Lowden to help me. We make a day of it. Years past she would bring Gramma Grell too. She'd cook and we would decorate. Aunt Connie makes water into wine. I love to have my house decorated for Christmas. She is fabulous at making my house look different each year.


I also enjoy family activities like decorating cookies and our yearly gingerbread house. More traditions. The kids enjoy and look forward to this each year. Then, we give cookies to our favorite people.

A pretty and festive table also brings me enjoyment! Placemats, napkins, accessories, holiday tableware. I love it all. My Gramma Grell used gold silverware each year for Christmas. I have some of my own to continue a special tradition of hers. Its special.

I enjoy writing and sharing our yearly Cummins Christmas letter. There are so many family and out of town friends that we don't get to talk to in-depth or often enough. They enjoy hearing about the family and often say they look forward to receiving this each year. Its also feeds my creative side just like this blog does. It documents a moment in time and allows photos!

Its all about the food. I look forward to the special foods at Christmas. For example, chips and rotel cheese on Christmas Eve. Another tradition begun by Gramma Grell. Cajun shrimp of Uncle Stu's. The snack table. Mmmm Mmmm good. On Christmas Day I make Groten Hans (Big Dumpling) another family favorite. Steve and I have adopted this as our family tradition food wise. Steve's family celebrates with a Mexican feast. Everyone makes the effort to attend.

Another thing I love is the Hardanger ornament I receive each year from my great Auntie Elaine. Very special stitched ornaments. I have one for every year I have been married. They are gorgeous, each and every one. This year I decorated a small tree with only these special handmade ornaments.

But my most favorite part of Christmas is being together in the house with no plans "good old-fashioned downtime" as Stacy Julian calls it. Home in my castle. That is what I enjoy. Even better if there is a big snow and we CAN'T go anywhere. There is always plenty of food on hand and we just get by and do whatever we want!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I totally agree: Connie can make anything look amazing, and slightly over the top. Isn't that why we decorate at Christmastime? Good reflections and traditions. Glad to know all of yours are well this year, and praying the same for the next. :)

    ReplyDelete