Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2019

O Captain! My Captain! William Cummins Eulogy by Jeff Cummin

How do you say goodbye to one of the strongest men you will ever know?
Last night, my grandpa passed away in the same room his wife of over 60 years passed in just twelve days prior to joining her in heaven. For my grandma, I will always remember love and laughter. For my grandpa, I will always remember strength. I will always remember how he quit smoking damn near cold turkey and inspired many more to do the same. My grandpa was a veteran, a natural fighter and he showed that right to the very end. Not many people get to choose when they leave this world after living a full life, but he did. Last night he laid down his sword and walked with death as an equal as he went to reunite with the love of his life.
I am fortunate to have so many memories with my grandparents. All the times I spent in their houseboat helped foster a love of the water in me. I will always remember his ability to craft wood. It was not a skill I inherited, but I will carry the memories of him, my dad and my uncles working on stuff in the garage. In my memory, I can still picture some of his belongings so clearly. His desk. His globe. His pen. His belt buckle Whenever I saw my grandpa, no matter how old I truly was, I was the kid in this picture. Always watching and learning how to act, to carry me in life, to be strong. No amount of lessons would have ever been enough, but I was lucky for the ones that I had.
My grandpa had a way of letting you know how proud of you he was and how much he loved you without ever opening his mouth. The message was conveyed loud and clear through his eyes and his smirk. I am proud to have his blood flow through me. I will always have the privilege of sharing my birthday with my grandparents' wedding anniversary. In a little over a month I will turn 32, and for that birthday and all that follow, I will be reminded of how far their love has spread and the generations that it created and will create.
How do you say goodbye to one of the strongest men you will ever know?
You don't. You carry them in your hearts forever.
O Captain! My Captain!
Jeff Cummins
March 10, 2019

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting

No comments:

Post a Comment